Nick Diaz wants Anderson Silva

By Josh Reese

Nick Diaz to come out of retirement? Yesterday graciefighter.com released a statement on behalf of the suspended Welterweight star. UFC 143 featured a Welterweight Interim Championship fight between Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz he lost the fight in a unanimous 5 round decision. Diaz then mentioned he was done with the sport, and shortly after he was handed a one year suspension for failing a post fight drug test.

4 months have passed since Diaz told the world he was done, and it seems he may have gotten the fighting bug back, below is the statement released by Diaz’s camp.

It’s been a trying time these last 4 months as I have been faced with the prospect that one of our team’s most talented fighters had decided to leave the sport. As a fan I’ve always admired what both of the Diaz’s brought to the cage; a combination of technical brilliance and raw violence.

Nate Diaz has finally put his game together and found the formula to propel him to the top of the 155lbs division. To see Nick leave at the top of his game was difficult.

For the last couple of months I’ve watched Nick begin to frequent the gym more and more. He’s training harder now than he has for many of his fights. It was obvious that training and fighting is in his DNA. It is who he is.

This week we had a great talk and he made it clear to me that he is ready to get back to the cage. Nick Diaz will return.

To address the NSAC suspension, I will say that we have appealed to the courts and if things go our way, it will be plausible that Nick could return as early as sometime at the end of this year.

For too long NSAC bureaucrats have acted with malicious incompetence towards the fighters. We will challenge them in court.

As far as future opponents, Nick has stated that he would like to take fights “that matter”. Since GSP will be fighting Condit, he has to look elsewhere. He will respectfully ask for a fight with Anderson Silva, a fighter he respects and would like to challenge.

Silva’s camp has been speaking of a fight with GSP, possibly even at a catch weight. Nick will take that fight in a minute but has told me that should Silva decide not to drop at all, he will move up to 185lbs to face the Champ.

I will be meeting with Dana next Monday August 6th to discuss this and other issues. If you appreciate Nick’s fighting style, please let Dana know that you want Nick back ASAP.
Thank you and best regards,
Cesar Gracie

Earlier this week Gracie tweeted this to the UFC boss Dana White “@danawhite let Nick fight in another state or country. He’s only suspended in NV, the state you said has the worst commision Free Nick Diaz” Dana responded with “You know that’s not how it works” (something to that affect) but it was later removed.

Diaz since his last loss to K.J Noons in 2007 has averaged just about 3 fights a year, he may be getting the itchy trigger finger from not fighting. It is understandable to think that Diaz just needed some time away from the sports after his big let down to Condit. He is eligible to return February 2013, and he has made it clear in this letter that he is ready for Anderson Silva.

He was being honest, for some reason losing to Condit makes you ready for Silva. Gracie must not really understand how things work, you can’t fight the champ coming of a loss. If Diaz does go to 185 someone would welcome him to that weight class and it wouldn’t be the Champ. We love the Diaz’s brothers fighting style but just because you can throw and bang it don’t mean your worthy of leaping the pack. Even his brother Nate had to beat Jim Miller to earn his shot.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *